Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Homework for Linda's class Oct 18th


In the chapter 6 of the book Affluenza called “Family convulsions”, the authors state about how family values has changed. How family members nowadays live together without really communicating with each other. How people work more and more versus spend less and less time at home, which become a place of arguments that they run away in spending more time at work.

Authors state although about how the attitudes that people got towards things are bit by bit running into the attitudes in relationships. This is the point I chose to discuss about.
When I was in France (or “in my country” --> private dedicate to Niel who like so much this expression…), I noticed a progressive changed in relations between people. At first I thought that it was me… I mean I’m becoming older and relationship start to be different as long as people approach 25 years old, right? Nowadays young men prefer dying than having a serious relationship which means for them engagement and in extreme cases jail! Right? But now that I’m in US, in NY, wahoo… I watch around me and notice that even for my 17 years old best friend (read: Morgane…) things are going like this. People consume each other and when they have taste once or few times, they get bored and throw this person away, all like they do with obsolete stuff. In French the word “consume” exists but means “burn up”. For me it’s exactly the point, people take what they find interesting in the other person and when they get it they throw him or her away, that's human consumption. It’s a very dangerous behavior I think, and I don’t really understand how people can be so unemotional… That’s why I decided to give up with relationships… just kidding :)
No, seriously… We have so many choices now, even choosing my yoghurt at K-Mart is an assault course. I mean it’s the same with people, everybody seems to be available, “open”… but I think it’s only illusions… For me relationships are precious because people are precious, and I don’t belong to any kind of church if you are wondering, just… I don’t know, I think I don’t understand how it works now, I should had been born 50 years earlier maybe, maybe not… The world was less open 50 years ago… but on the other hand people seemed to know the real values… pffff… don’t know ‘cause I think now people assume more what they want and what they think, while in the past everything was a taboo… so maybe it was the same mess but hidden…


Is that not too confused…? Yes it is… just like my feeling about this fussy subject which passionate me, hope one day I'm gonna end up to understand…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home