Tuesday, October 03, 2006

How many cell phones do you see...?

For this essay I choosed to talk about the "new necessities" state on page 28.

Excuse me in advance for the formal style I choosed for this post...

In the chapter III of the book Affluenza, the authors (John De Graaf, David Wann and Thomas H.Naylor) explain how the necessities had changed these last 50 years in America. They think that, nowadays people can't live without extra stuff as cell phone, washing machines and cars for example, and feel deprived when they don't have it.

And proves are here ! I mean, everybody has a cell phone and if unfortunatly you forgot it on the desk of a shark :) :) :) (see last post) you fell lost... In the same way as we can't imagine a family in industrialised country without a washing machine. And fortunatly I think ! Wouldn't be stupid to ignore modernity and refuse comfort that new inventions can offer ?

However, taking advantages of modernity must not rhyme with wasting energy in over-using these stuff and excess. And that's the real problem I think. People don't know how to use it in respect for the nature and are also trapped by "the dogged pursuit of more"... Why having only one car when I could have three...? You see what I mean ?

The authors wrote "Invention is mother of necessity ". Yes ! Of course ! Since inventions give new possibilities in life and life is precisly built on these new possibilities. Nevertheless, I think we must pay more attention of the real meaning of stuff rather than their appearence.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home